USNO Robotic Astrometric Telescope
URAT: the Camera
- the 4-shooter camera contains 4 STA1600B detectors for imaging
- mounted on the sides are 3 guide / focus chips (2k by 5k, 8 microns)
- camera window (25mm thick) serves also as fixed filter
- camera shutter has 280 x 280 mm clear aperture, over 1 meter long
- camera electronics is custom design (Aura system) by G. Bredthauer (STA)
- dewar weighs about 140 kg, with 30 liter LN2, built by G. Luppino (Hawaii)
- camera, telescope and dome controlled by a single Linux computer
One set of camera electronics operates a single 10k chip.
This system (Aura) is custom designed and built by G. Bredthauer (STA).
Dewar of 4-shooter camera at GL Scientific (Hawaii).
A single 10k chip mounted inside the camera head.
2000 x 5000 pixel guide chip (STA3000A). Three of these will be mounted on the sides of the main imaging array for guiding and focus control.
Assembled URAT focal plane with 4 10k and 3 guide/focus detectors.
Completed 4-shooter camera during testing at STA, July 2011